Friday, April 4, 2014

How to Get in Control of Your Emotions

Some of the biggest struggles that I have faced is dealing with my emotions when spending time with others who are not totally on the same wavelength as I am, and depending on the situation and the surrounding events that led up to a certain encounter with someone, my mood has often easily shifted, leading me to feel miserable and weak, with emotions such as anger, sadness, or jealousy to ensue. However as I have spent time analyzing such triggers, I have also begin to understand what causes me to feel such a way and how I can prevent and reverse such transformations in thought.

   1. Think About What Just Happened

Many times when I feel my mental stability about to snap, I take a moment to think within myself about what just happened, and what caused me to feel the way I am. By doing this I analyze the current situation, allowing me to calculate what I need to do to prevent it from getting worse and out of hand. As a result, I have avoided heated arguments and conversations with many people, and have also thrown off many who have tried to incite fights with me. Often, I follow through by showing additional compassion or kindness to overwhelm the opposing party in a good way, so as to diffuse the situation.

   2.  Listen to Music

This is one of the most effective and most underrated means of regaining your emotional consciousness. If possible, isolate yourself for a little bit and plug in some earphones and close your eyes and listen to some chilling music that helps you to relax and forget about what caused to feel the way you do. By doing this you totally let yourself to let go of negative emotions and not put them on others, which often can hurt others and lead to further unintended negative consequences.

   3. Write it Down

When you are feeling extremely overwhelmed by a certain occurrence or event, take time to write your thoughts down. By expressing your thoughts via ink you get a clear look on what it is that is making you feel grief or hurt or whatever it is, and by seeing it from a third-person-esque view, you can analyze the situation and bring yourself back down to a grounded emotional state. Although hurtful feelings may still linger, you now have expressed your thoughts without hurting anyone else and without restraining your true feelings, which in turn will allow you to feel much better about yourself.

   4.  Take a Nap

Taking a light nap will allow you to forget about your thoughts temporarily, which might be all you need to recover your mental stability. Otherwise, this method is pretty self-explanatory as to its benefits.

   5. Talk to Some Good Friends or Family

Hopefully if the situation at hand is not involving your friends or family as the culprit of negativity, take some time to consult with them. It might seem embarrassing and/or demeaning to have to let yourself talk about what it is that is hurting you to your close ones, however this is often one of the most helpful methods of releasing bottled thoughts and emotions that may still be lingering with you after following the previous methods. By letting yourself calmly discuss with others, you may begin to realize either through self-introspection or via discussion the true root of your feelings and work towards relieving that root.

Remember that only you can let yourself be overwhelmed by these thoughts and negative emotions, and by learning to apply strong control over these feelings, you can learn to lead a more positive and fruitful life, one that will allow you to truly feel happy and at ease.

Cheers!


No comments:

Post a Comment